Tuesday, June 24, 2008

All Good Things Must Come To An End (or so they say)


Well after a couple of months of planning and thousands of miles of traveling I'm on my homeward leg. I got a 2:20am wake up call in our Athens Hotel to get a cab to the airport and a 5:20am flight back to Budapest. After a five hour wait here I fly to New York with at least a 4 hour wait there before my flight into Boston. I never slept one wink before my wake up call so I'm pretty tired and I don't sleep on planes(as many of you know that's the only place I don't sleep). I hope today will be different. Ricky is catching a direct flight from Athens to Philadelphia and on to Chicago. He leaves at 11:30am.

Athens has been an advanced history class. Fortunately I had a good teacher and despite miles of walking (and a lot of it up hill)I really enjoyed the sights. Seeing the Acropolis and Parthenon (although under renovations) is a totally awesome sight that I'll never forget.

Hadrian's Gate and the Temple of Zeus were also remarkable.


All in all Greece was an excellent experience. I really liked the food. The people for the most part were friendly and helpful. I never got used to not flushing (even toilet paper) anything in the toilet. There was shopping galore and much better quality stuff than in Croatia.

So to my traveling companions: Bill, Nancy, Ken, Eric and Rick thanks for a great time and a great memory.

I should be arriving in New York at 3:30pm today (Tuesday). I hope to pass the hours talking on my cell phone. If I don't call you, call me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mel
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. The pictures are awesome (Can't wait to see the scrapbook!) I'm glad you had a wonderful time. Safe trip home. See you soon.
Kristen

Anonymous said...

Hi Mel, Gosh I miss ya. I have enjoyed your travels though. Oh the technolgy. Work tomorrow? Yuck. I bet you're looking forward to Nova Scotia more than you ever have. Do you think you'll have a waking moment? I checked out Corey's blog last night and thought the video of Caleigh walking was very cool. I won't be back to work until the 2nd. I'm thinking about going w/ you Sunday though, ok? I'll call you later when I'm on my way to the Red Sox game. I'm going to go look at a house now. I'm looking forward to seeing you. .....Kathleen..... Oh, and Shirley, I like you.

Shawn Brace said...

So . . . you said that Greece was wonderful, and the first thing you mentioned was the food!!! I guess that's only appropriate.

See you soon!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your posts... looks like you had a wonderful time, lovely scenery. It appears you L.L. Bean Luggage held up well..as it should...:)
Dave C.

R. Aastrup said...

Hi Melanie--

You saw more of Athens than we did! We arrived late in the evening, went to bed, got up early and rushed to the Acropolis to see that before we had to catch a ferry to the island of Syros...so that was a little disappointing, although the Acropolis tour was awesome.

Yes, it would be fun to trade stories sometime. Are you going to post more pictures? Now that I'm back, I'm trying to organize my posts by themes. I took hundreds of pictures, literally! Turkey was pretty awesome, although kind of dicey for travel... Most of us liked Ephesus even better than the Acropolis...it was more accessible somehow...