Friday, June 13, 2008

Sorry, Still No Wireless

I thought I would have it made today because I´m writing this in an internet cafe where I tried connecting to their internet. But it wouldn't work so I'm relegated to using theirs. Duncan, can you help me?

Yesterday we took a ferry off the rocky island of Pag and headed farther north in Croatia. Ricky and Eric left us to head back to Budapest to see the city and pick up Eric's brother today. Jeff is coming to Europe and nobody seems to know what his itinerary is. We'll meet Rick at the airport on Sunday when Bill, Ken and Nancy fly home and Rick and I fly to Athens. Eric is also leaving earlier in the day on Sunday for home and then up to Maine.

Yesterday was rainy and drizzly for most of the day, the first really bad day we've had. It was made worse by our accomodations. Words fail me to describe how bad it was. It reminded me of a place "I Love Lucy" would have stayed in, unchanged from that day. It was cheap so I suggested we abandon, but Bill and Ken said they were from Humphrey's and we would stay. I cannot even think of one redeeming quality other than it had a good view and the beds were clean. The cold water this morning added to the misery.

On a better note, we're in a really nice place for the next two nites. It is right near Lake Balaton in Hungary. It is a huge lake (350 miles around). It is really windy today and the waves are real big. When I get off this computer I'm going swimming in it.

Some interesting things about Croatia are that there don't seem to be any mosquitoes or other flying things. Everybody sleeps with their windows wide open and nothing goes in. The country is very very rocky all along the coast. People are crazy about soccer and everything stops when a Europe Cup 2008 game is on that Croatia is in. The roads are two lane for the most part and people pass with no room at all. A lot of people seem to know some English. Croatia was a great place to visit.

Our main meal diet seems to have been either pizza, spaghetti, or potatoes and grilled vegetables. I might not eat pizza again for at least a year. We have a kitchen in our place tonite and we just went grocery shopping and got a lot for the equivalent of 44 dollars. We will cook our own meals for a couple of them.

That's it for now. I probably won't be able to write until sometime on Monday when we get to Crete. Keep your responses coming.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for telling me about your blog! It's great to read all your fun news and then hear from Lori and Toni and Shawn and the rest of the whole tribe. . . like sitting around in your living room or something!

So, where all are you going on this trip? Are you going to Rome at all?

Joelle just came in (by surprise) for Father's Day this morning! Pieter had this mysterious mission he needed the car for this morning— and low and behold he brings back Joelle! What a glad day! She'll be here till Monday. So nice to have our family together! Norman couldn't come because he is taking his last neurology call tonight! (Is is over with his neurology residency very soon now.) Then he has a fellowship there at LL and then the plan is to go to Trinidad.

I'll be watching for your blogs!

Love,
Laurel

Anonymous said...

WEll, I can see you are about winding down on the trip. Your comments about each place was fanastic. I believe Wanda would give you an A+. I can hear Bill and Ken saying just those words, " we are from Humphreys and this looks good to us." Hope Ken did not do any complaining other than about his feet. Will he ever learn I wonder? Hope you and Rick have a good time as you journey on. Still can't believe I was not asked to go along on this trip?? Have a good Sabbath. Love, Shirl

Anonymous said...

wxngbneaHello All :) We've enjoyed reading your blog also. I've seen alot worst then Humphreys here in Moncton (but I can't say what it looked like back when the dinosaurs ruled Humphreys) ROFLIN’! The Celtics are kickin' some major BUTT, N' I like It! The biggest comeback since they started keeping track, what a game Bill :) Anywayz, the Taylor's are signing' out. Have a good time finishing your trip. All the Best Martin/Sylvie

PS The pictures are GREAT. GO YANKS :)

Martin

Anonymous said...

Hi Melanie! It's Jovia. Okay, so it took me a few days to realize that when you said you wanted to hear from people, there was a comments section right there. So I sent you an email. Just a little slow, but I've got it now. I'm loving your posts and I miss you guys a lot. Hope the next hotel is better. Have a fun day!

Anonymous said...

Hope you all had a nice Sabbath. We just finished church and are waiting for Rad and Jen--they went to the Haitian church with Mark (who was preaching there today) to do alittle recruiting! We are headed to a nice little park in Osterville for a picnic lunch. It is another gorgeous day.

Did you hear that Tim Russert, 58, died yesterday from a probable heart attack? That was sad news. I liked him.

We will continue to pray for safe travels for you as you depart ways tomorrow. We had a lovely dinner at the Olive Garden last early evinging with Shawn and Camille. And what a game Thursday night--very exciting! Heard Ricky and Eric got up to see it. There were a few fans who gave up on them at half time. I am not mentioning any names.