Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Today We Took The Road Most Traveled and Loved It


We had an early wake up call today. At least Rick did. He got up at 4:30am, took the computer down to the pool and listened to the Celtics game on ESPN radio. I got up at 5:30, heard that they were so far ahead and went back to bed. Rick woke me to come and listen to the last quarter with him. It was pretty exciting! After a somewhat tepid shower we were ready for the day and off. We headed in our little car west for about 85 miles. We passed some high mountains and it was a scenic ride.
We ended up in the seaside town of Chania around 11am. Already the temperature was close to 100. Chania was pretty much an undiscovered town until the 1980's when the tourists began coming. Bill and I always say there never has been a tourist trap made that we don't like. This was certainly no exception. It was totally awesome!! Pictures cannot do justice to the scene. There is an old town with an old harbor with a retaining wall and lighthouse dating back to the 1200's. There were the usual restaurants and shops dotting the landscape with boats and museums as well. I totally fell in love with the place.



After looking around for awhile we went into the Crete Naval Museum. They had stuff from their earliest settlement days up through World War II with a whole floor on WW2. I did my usual speed version of the place while Ricky, I think, read every printed word in the place. Fortuately I found a nice comfy chair in the midst of a good breeze and snoozed away the time. We were both happy. I did enjoy the blow by blow description of the fall of Crete to the Germans in 1941, interesting stuff.

Following the museum we had a great lunch at an outdoor cafe. We have eaten every meal in Crete in an outdoor restaurant overlooking water with a great view. You gotta love that.

We took a leisurely ride back to our hotel with a couple of side trips to a few beaches. We had a great swim in the beach two minutes walk from our hotel. I had a wonderful freshly made waffle with fresh strawberries and cream for supper. That was my first time to get anything like that on the trip. I'm having to hold myself back from going back there and having another one.

Anyway some random comments. The weather has been very hot but only when you're in the sun. If you get in the shade at all it's fine (and you all know how I hate the heat). There doesn't seem to be any humidity. The water temperature is definately cooler than I expected. The waiter in the restaurant said it was 22C. I think he was being generous. The water is definately warmer in the Carribbean, Florida, parts of the Cape etc. But because it is so hot outside the water is very refreshing and good. There are unfinished buildings all over the place. They seem to pour the concrete frames and just leave them (much like many we saw in Russia years ago). There are mostly Germans or Sweedish people in our hotel and where we were yesterday but today in Chania we saw mostly Americans. Crete was definately better than I anticipated. Tomorrow we catch the "Flying Cat"--high speed catamaran--to Santorini. We will arrive there at 11:30am. We will have wireless in our hotel.

3 comments:

Corey said...

Could you post a picture of your little car? I would like to see what you're driving around in. What are the prices like? How much do you have to pay for a waffle with strawberries?

Shawn Brace said...

Have you ever thought about going into travel writing? I think you would be good at it. You crack me up with your descriptions: "I'm having to hold myself back from going back there and having another one."

And yesterday, when you declared that we could be sure you'd be swimming again. Funny stuff.

Wish we were there with you.

Camille is at camp orientation this week. Been there since Monday morning. They pulled out a tiny black and white TV at camp last night, and watched the Celtics game.

By the way . . . don't forget that Camille's birthday is Friday. This is a heads-up to everyone (not that those in Greece can really do anything about that).

Anonymous said...

Well, well, well what a delightful trip you are having. That is wonderful! Truly wish I was there. Jen left yesterday, Chuck and Millie come today. This Sabbath at Campmeeting will not be the same with you not there.