Sunday, June 8, 2008

Croatia is Great!!!!!!!

Unfortunately I have to use a computer at an internet cafe to post this blog so I cant send any pictures. Excuse errors in this because the keyboard is in another language and everything is different. On Friday we left Budapest for the drive to southern Croatia. It turned out to be a longer drive than expected and we arrived into our hotel at 10:30 pm. The border crossing was interesting with the border crossing guy saying he couldn't speak English and saying over and over again Bin Laden, Obama, Bin Laden, Obama. He wasn't nice. I wouldn't want to run into him again. We drove just south of Split Friday night and woke up to a gorgeous view yesterday morning. We then took a leisurely drive (6 hours) down to Dubrovnik. It took so long because we constantly stopped to take pictures.


I will say to those who are wondering does Dubrovnik really live up to it's reputation. It sure does. It is totally beautiful. Almost breath taking so. The old city which is well over a thousand years old is a fortress, a walled butress with a city inside. It is made up of residences, shops and restaurants. Last night we enjoyed supper in an outdoor restaurant with a great piano player serenading us. We walked the entire wall encircling the city today. It is more than a mile around with many stairs and up and down places. It was a real work out. We saw the places "The Amazing Race" went from. It looked just the same.

Our hotel here has been wonderful. We have a place with a bedroom with a king sized bed and another room with twin beds for Rick and Eric with a kitchen area, a bathroom and a half and a covered porch that is three times bigger than our room in Budapest, it's huge. The porch overlooks the Adriatic. There is a huge pool over the Adriatic and a nice swimming beach. The beaches are very pebbly but crystal clear. They are so salty you can't even sink. I'm glad I have my crocs to wear into the water. The water temperature was a little cooler than I expected but fine once you get used to it. I think it probably is about 72-75.

Rick had three weeks of dirty clothes we washed in the bathtub last night. We hung them out in the porch but they don't seem to be drying very fast. I hope they will be dry by the morning when we pull out.

Everyone here is crazy about the Europe Cup Soccer Tournament. As I write this every TV in this little town is tuned into it and you can hear cheering every time anything good happens. So many of the people are dressed in soccer paraphanelia.

Bill wasn't so sure about coming to Croatia. It wasn't his first choice but he has been very happy with what he has seen. There are some remnants of the war still visible. There are four buildings in our hotel complex that were badly damaged in 1991 and have not been repaired. You can see the bullet holes. They had 1006 beds available before and now 500. What remains is exceptionally nice.

Anyway all is well. We've heard about the earthquake in Greece. I'm not excited about that but it doesn't sound too bad. We know that Hillary is out. Anyway that's it for now. I'll catch you again when I can hopefully with my computer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Everyone!!! I bet you all thought that Shirley was a thing of the past, but, I have come alive!!! The pictures and the comments that Melanie is writing are wonderful!! Mary and I have decided that the next trip, Melanie can be our Tour Guide. She has all the information that one will need. In spite of big feet Ken, actually found something. I knew those feet would someday cause him trouble. Bill looks like he is getting sleep every now and then. Wonderful!!
All is well here and we are saving the hot weather for Boston and Petitcodiac. No fear of not getting it. Take care and enjoy and wish I were there!!!!! Can't believe I was not asked??? Love to all, Shirl