Monday, June 9, 2008

Still LOVING Croatia!



We got a bonus tonite by getting a hotel that has wireless so I'm able to publish this blog. We traveled north in Croatia today and have ended up in a little town called Trogir. According to Frommer it is a place that "fairy tales are made of". That appears to be pretty much true. It is a cute little island old town dotted with boats, old streets, shops etc. It actually seems like a much smaller, less majestic, higher class Dubrovnik. This is our third hotel in Croatia and all have far exceeded my expectations. They have large rooms, two in our case tonite in each of the two apartments we have. And they all have been very clean.




I didn't mention before that the ride between Split and Dubrovnik (and back today) is like 130 miles of the Cabot Trail. It has multiple turns high above the water with breath taking scenery at every turn.


Some things I had forgotten about Europe: a lot of people smoke a lot, soda comes in very small bottles and is very expensive, they say don't drink the water but if you do you're fine, women don't hesitate to undress at the pool right in front of you.

We continue to have a lot of fun. All the pictures I'm enclosing were taken in Dubrovnik. Let me hear from some of you. I'm glad I'm not in that hot weather in Boston.

8 comments:

Corey said...

I think I recognize some of the spots in the pictures from the Amazing Race. Am I correct? That castle looks familiar. How was the water? Did you go in yourself?

Shawn Brace said...

Wow. It looks absolutely breathtaking. I have got to get to Croatia sometime!!! I've seen pictures of these places before a time or two, but when you actually see the pictures that your own family has taken, and your family is in the pictures, it looks so beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

Green with envy! Beautiful pictures. So glad you are having such a good time. Extremely hot today even for the Cape. One more day tomorrow and then cooler weather returns. Gas has topped off at $4.20 on the Cape. Love those Celtics wins. Rad gets to go to the Red Sox with Mark tomorrow night. Jen arrives Wednesday night for a week. Ted Kennedy arrived back on the compound today!
Continue to stay well and have fun--but don't drink that water!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Mel, your photos certainly took my breath away. I can't wait to see them all. It is hot as heck here. The pool was full of people on Sunday. A very unusual occurrence in June. Travel on Mel and I'll continue to follow. Kathleen

Anonymous said...

hey mel, it's kathy- your trip looks fantastic!!!- I'm sure you are having a great time just as we are at the park- miss you! Keep safe.

R. Aastrup said...

Hi Melanie--

I'm enjoying your travelogue (I got here by way of Shawn's blog). I'll be going to Greece and Turkey at the end of this month with the Youth Ensemble and CUC choir. Laurie Redmer is going, too, as are my sister, brother-in-law, niece, and nephew. I won't be playing, just going along for the ride. It's going to be a tour of Paul's missionary visits...can't wait!

I'm wondering if you took a laptop with you...and if so...how are you keeping it safe? I'm trying to figure out how to go three weeks without it!!!

Say "hello" to Bill...

Anonymous said...

Heat wave continues in Boston, Cape 21 degrees cooler and beautiful! Good news today--another blog to follow with it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mel
The pictures are amazing.Thanks for sharing them with us. Glad you are having a wonderful time!! Keep writing.
Miss you...Keep safe.
Kristen H